Quick and Easy Guide on How to Cook Corn in Microwave
Preparing Corn for Microwaving
Before microwaving corn, it is important to prepare it properly to ensure that it cooks evenly and thoroughly. Here are the steps to prepare corn for microwaving:
- Remove the husk and silk from the corn.
- Rinse the corn under cold water to remove any remaining silk or debris.
- Pat the corn dry with a paper towel.
- If cooking corn on the cob, wrap each ear of corn in a damp paper towel. This will help keep the corn moist during cooking and prevent it from drying out.
- If cooking corn kernels, place them in a microwave-safe dish and add a small amount of water. The water will help create steam and prevent the kernels from drying out.
By following these simple steps, you’ll be on your way to perfectly cooked microwaved corn in no time!
Microwaving Corn on the Cob
Microwaving corn on the cob is a quick and easy way to cook this classic summertime side dish. Here’s how to do it:
- Place the prepared corn on a microwave-safe plate.
- Microwave the corn on high for 3-5 minutes, depending on the wattage of your microwave. Start with 3 minutes and check the corn for doneness. If it’s not fully cooked, continue microwaving in 30-second increments until it’s done.
- Use oven mitts or a towel to carefully remove the plate from the microwave. The plate and corn will be hot!
- Let the corn cool for a minute or two before handling it. Use a knife to cut off the bottom of the cob, if desired.
Microwaving corn on the cob is a great option if you’re short on time or don’t want to heat up your kitchen by boiling a pot of water. Plus, it’s a convenient way to cook just one or two ears of corn instead of a whole pot.
Cooking Corn Kernels in Microwave
If you prefer to serve corn kernels instead of corn on the cob, microwaving is also a great option. Here’s how to cook corn kernels in the microwave:
- Place the prepared corn kernels in a microwave-safe dish.
- Add a small amount of water to the dish, about 2 tablespoons per cup of corn.
- Cover the dish with a microwave-safe lid or plastic wrap.
- Microwave the corn on high for 3-5 minutes, depending on the amount of corn and the wattage of your microwave. Stir the corn halfway through cooking.
- Use oven mitts or a towel to carefully remove the dish from the microwave. The dish and corn will be hot!
- Let the corn cool for a minute or two before serving.
Microwaving corn kernels is a convenient and easy way to cook this versatile vegetable. Use the cooked kernels in salads, soups, or as a side dish.
Tips for Perfectly Cooked Microwaved Corn
Microwaving corn can be a bit tricky, but with these tips, you’ll be able to achieve perfectly cooked corn every time:
- Check the wattage of your microwave and adjust the cooking time accordingly. A lower wattage microwave may require more cooking time.
- For corn on the cob, wrap each ear in a damp paper towel to keep it moist during cooking.
- If cooking multiple ears of corn, arrange them in a circle on the plate or dish. This will help them cook more evenly.
- Stir the corn kernels halfway through cooking to ensure even cooking.
- Let the corn cool for a minute or two before handling or serving. It will be very hot straight out of the microwave!
By following these tips, you’ll be able to achieve perfectly cooked microwaved corn that’s ready to enjoy in no time.
Serving and Enjoying Your Microwaved Corn
Now that you’ve cooked your corn in the microwave, it’s time to serve and enjoy it! Here are a few ideas:
- For corn on the cob, brush it with melted butter and sprinkle with salt and pepper. You can also add other seasonings, such as garlic powder or paprika, for extra flavor.
- For corn kernels, toss them with melted butter and chopped herbs, such as parsley or cilantro. You can also add cheese or chili powder for a Mexican-inspired twist.
- Serve your corn alongside grilled meats or vegetables for a complete meal.
- Leftover corn can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Reheat it in the microwave for 30-60 seconds before serving.
Microwaved corn is a simple and delicious side dish that’s perfect for any occasion. Experiment with different seasonings and serving ideas to find your favorite way to enjoy it!