1. Gather the Ingredients and Tools
Before you start making your delicious meatball subs, make sure you have all the necessary ingredients and tools ready. Here’s a list of what you’ll need:
- Ground beef or a combination of beef and pork
- Grated Parmesan cheese
- Minced garlic
- Black pepper
- Sub rolls
- Shredded mozzarella cheese
- Marinara sauce
- Large mixing bowl
- Baking sheet
- Parchment paper
- Non-stick skillet
- Wooden spoon or spatula
- Oven (optional)
Once you have everything you need, you’re ready to start making your meatball subs!
2. Make the Meatballs
The key to a delicious meatball sub is, of course, the meatballs themselves. Here’s how to make them:
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the ground beef (or beef and pork mixture), breadcrumbs, milk, Parmesan cheese, minced garlic, salt, black pepper, and egg.
- Mix the ingredients together with your hands until well combined.
- Roll the mixture into 1-2 inch meatballs, depending on your preference.
- Heat a non-stick skillet over medium-high heat and add a bit of oil.
- Once the skillet is hot, add the meatballs and cook for 8-10 minutes, turning occasionally, until they’re browned on all sides and cooked through.
That’s it! You now have delicious meatballs ready to be turned into a sub.
3. Prepare the Sauce
Next up, you’ll need to prepare the marinara sauce for your meatball subs. Here’s a simple recipe to follow:
- 1 can (28 oz) of crushed tomatoes
- 2 cloves of minced garlic
- 1/4 cup of chopped fresh basil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a saucepan, heat up a bit of oil over medium heat.
- Add the minced garlic and cook for a minute or two until fragrant.
- Add the crushed tomatoes and stir to combine.
- Bring the mixture to a simmer and cook for about 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the chopped fresh basil and salt and pepper to taste.
Your delicious marinara sauce is now ready to go!
4. Assemble the Subs
Now that you have your meatballs and sauce ready, it’s time to assemble your subs. Here’s how:
- Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Cut your sub rolls in half and place them on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Spoon some marinara sauce onto each half of the sub roll.
- Place a few meatballs on top of the sauce.
- Add some shredded mozzarella cheese on top of the meatballs.
- Repeat with the other half of the sub roll.
- Place the baking sheet in the oven and bake for 10-15 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
Your meatball subs are now ready to be served and enjoyed!
5. Bake and Serve Your Meatball Subs
The final step in making your delicious meatball subs is baking and serving them. Here’s what to do:
- Once your subs are assembled, place the baking sheet in the oven and bake for 10-15 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Remove the baking sheet from the oven and let the subs cool for a few minutes.
- Serve the subs hot and enjoy!
You can serve your meatball subs with some additional marinara sauce on the side for dipping, or with a side of fries or a salad. However you choose to enjoy them, these meatball subs are sure to be a hit!