Gather Your Ingredients and Supplies
Before you begin making chocolate covered pretzels, it’s important to make sure you have all the necessary ingredients and supplies. Here’s what you’ll need:
- Pretzels (any shape or size)
- Chocolate (milk, dark, white, or a combination)
- Toppings (optional; examples include sprinkles, crushed nuts, or sea salt)
- Parchment paper
- Baking sheet
- Double boiler or microwave-safe bowl
- Spatula or spoon for stirring
- Fork or dipping tool
Make sure to have everything ready and within reach before starting the process, as timing is key when working with melted chocolate. Once you have everything you need, it’s time to start melting the chocolate!
Melt the Chocolate
The next step in making chocolate covered pretzels is to melt the chocolate. There are two ways to do this: using a double boiler or a microwave.
To melt the chocolate using a double boiler:
- Fill a small saucepan with 1-2 inches of water and bring it to a simmer.
- Place a heat-safe bowl on top of the saucepan, making sure the bottom of the bowl does not touch the water.
- Add the chocolate to the bowl and stir occasionally until it is completely melted and smooth.
To melt the chocolate using a microwave:
- Break the chocolate into small pieces and place them in a microwave-safe bowl.
- Microwave the chocolate in 30-second intervals, stirring between each interval until it is completely melted and smooth.
Be careful not to overheat the chocolate, as it can burn easily and become unusable. Once the chocolate is melted, it’s time to start dipping the pretzels!
Dip the Pretzels
Now that the chocolate is melted, it’s time to dip the pretzels! Here’s how:
- Using a fork or dipping tool, pick up a pretzel and dip it into the melted chocolate, making sure to cover it completely.
- Tap the fork or tool against the side of the bowl to remove any excess chocolate.
- Place the chocolate-covered pretzel on a sheet of parchment paper on a baking sheet.
- Repeat the process with the remaining pretzels until they are all covered in chocolate.
If you want to add toppings, do so immediately after dipping the pretzels, before the chocolate sets. Once all of the pretzels are dipped and decorated (if desired), it’s time to let the chocolate set.
Decorate the Pretzels (optional)
If you want to add some extra flair to your chocolate covered pretzels, decorating them is a fun way to do so! Here are some ideas:
- Sprinkle toppings: While the chocolate is still wet, sprinkle your favorite toppings over the pretzels. Some ideas include crushed nuts, sprinkles, or sea salt.
- Drizzle additional chocolate: Once the chocolate on the pretzels has set, melt a different color of chocolate and drizzle it over the pretzels in a zig-zag pattern.
- Add edible glitter: Edible glitter is a fun way to add some sparkle to your pretzels. Simply sprinkle it over the wet chocolate and let it set.
Get creative and have fun with the decorating process! Once you’ve finished decorating the pretzels, it’s time to let the chocolate set before enjoying them.
Let the Chocolate Set and Enjoy!
The final step in making chocolate covered pretzels is to let the chocolate set. Here’s how:
- Once the pretzels are decorated (if desired), let them sit at room temperature until the chocolate is completely set. This usually takes about 1-2 hours.
- If you’re in a rush, you can speed up the process by placing the pretzels in the refrigerator for 10-15 minutes.
- Once the chocolate is set, carefully remove the pretzels from the parchment paper and transfer them to a serving dish.
- Serve and enjoy!
Chocolate covered pretzels can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to a week. They also make great gifts or party favors when packaged in cute bags or boxes. Happy snacking!